Jos Deuling, Sunday, 2 April 2017
Disadvantages of a home in Italy
You should also consider the following pitfalls:
- Water shortages in many regions (especially in summer)
- The relatively high additional costs when buying a home. These amount to about 10-11%
- High crime rate in some urban areas
- Traffic congestion and pollution in most cities and towns
- Threat of severe storms and earthquakes in some regions
- Overcrowding in popular tourist areas
- Unstable national government (more than 60 government since 1945)!
- Relatively high cost of running a home compared to other countries
- High taxes for residents and a rising cost of living
Walking in Tuscany, Italy
Advantages of a home in Italy
- Unexpected renovation and restoration costs (if you haven't done your homework)
- The risk of paying too much for a house and then not be able to sell it so you can’t earn back your investment
- Not take into account your financial budget (e.g. by taking an excessive mortgage)
- The maintenance of the house and garden is time consuming
- The cost in time and money to travel to it. Flying from the UK to Italy is cheap. There are many budget airlines operating on this market.
- In the summer, it is usually good weather with a bright summer sun.
- Value for money. Especially when you are a buying house in the countryside with a large piece of land. In regions that are extremely popular,
Tuscany, the same houses are often more expensive.
- Homes in the countryside are usually large and solid
- Wide variety of architectural styles
- Fairly stable real estate market
- Secure purchasing procedures
- The integrity of real estate agents and notaries. In Italy, you need to have an official license to act as an agent.
- Delicious food and excellent wines for a reasonable price
- You can travel easily and inexpensive to Italy (at least for most Western Europeans)
- Good rental potential (in many areas)
- Excellent local services
- The relaxed and slow pace of rural life
- The warmth of the Italian people
- The timeless beauty of Italy to your door